Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nuisance Board Meeting

Today's big agenda was a meeting with the city nuisance board; a captain from the police department; and the city law director. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss my progress on getting rid of the police calls to the Pink Elephant.

At this point, I have now evicted the drug dealers, drug addicts, and vagrants and are in the process of repainting the exterior of the building. I took an updated Nuisance Abatement Plan to the board and explained all the things we have done. The board was satisfied with the progress and approved my plan as written.

I wrote a very pointed Letter to the Editor to our local newspaper about the prosecutor failing to keep a dangerous felon in jail that frequently trespasses on our property. I asked the Law Director about that at the Nuisance Meeting but she refused to answer! I thought that was disturbing - that the Law Director doesn't feel obligated to answer questions from the public concerning the performance of her job.

I continue to be very busy with record low vacancies. As I write this blog, I am out of 1 and 3 bedroom houses and out of 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. The only open rentals I have are a 1 bedroom apartment and the 2 bedroom house that I just bought. Wow! I would certainly like to see this demand for rentals continue.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mike,

I have a tenant that needed to break a lease to move back to his home town (student). I asked 4 times for a 30 day letter, but can't get this guy to send me one. In your state, do you need a written 30 day notice to make it official? Or is verbal ok?

propertymanager said...

Brian,

My lease says that they must give a written 30 day notice. However, I will generally take a verbal notice.

That is a different issue than breaking a lease. If tenants break my lease and leave, I generally keep the security deposit unless I can re-rent the property as soon as they leave (without losing any rent).