Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Video Surveillance

With the issues that I've had lately with the Pink Elephant and the incident I had with the 22 year old drug dealer in my other apartment building (right next door), I've decided to take an additional step in attempting to turn around the Pink Elephant. This afternoon, I ordered a fairly sophistocated video surveillance system. The system basically consists of 8 IR day/night color cameras with a 250 GB DVR (digital video recorder); a high speed internet connection; and remove viewing software that will allow me to simultaneously view all cameras from my computer at home or anywhere in the world. The 8 cameras will allow me to view the entire exterior of the building; have one camera in the common stairway; and have 3 cameras covering 3 sides of my other apartment building (all sides that have doors) and collect 4 channels or audio. My intent is that the surveillance system will provide 3 benefits.

1) Deter criminals, deadbeats, and other scumbags from even going to the property. Even though these people have now been evicted from the building, this building has a long history of being mis-managed and these misfits have been coming to this building for years. A strict, no-tolerance policy accompanied by the surveillance system should deter this behavior when I'm not at the building.

2) Provide real time intelligence for what's occurring at the buildings. I'll be able to see who is entering, leaving, and handing around the buildings. This will assist in determining which tenants are violating their leases and may need to have their leases terminated.

3) Provide video evidence of any crimes that occur, which can be provided to the police to be used in prosecutions.

I'm also hoping that the presence of a surveillance system will make the property more attractive to potential honest tenants, thereby allowing me to charge a slightly higher rent.

1 comment:

dpayne said...

A camera surveillance system is definitely a wise investment that should help improve your security. I'm glad that you see the value of security and the impact that it can have on improving your apartments. I would also recommend looking at an audio intrusion system if you are looking to further improve security. It is the only way to provide 100% coverage of your entire building and detect break ins in areas that cameras and motion detectors would not.