Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Friday, July 13, 2007

FREE!

I'm about ready to start the rehab on the last of the 12 rental units I bought in May. It is half of a duplex and needs a significant amount of work. I have already trashed out the unit and have installed a new 125 amp electrical service. Now it's time to start all the cosmetic rehab.

The tenant, who was evicted by the previous owner as part of my purchase agreement, was a real scumbag. He was filthy and damaged/stole a lot of things in the unit. For example, all of the kitchen cabinets were stolen and the furnace was stolen from the other unit in this duplex (I converted that unit to electric baseboard heat). The previous landlord has filed a lawsuit against the tenant, but will probably never recover what she is owed.

In a stroke of good fortune, the previous owner knew of a business that had remodeled and they were giving away their "old" kitchen cabinets. Of course, when I get something for free, I don't expect too much. However, I was shocked when I picked up the free cabinets - they looked almost new. Recieving those cabinets will surely save me a bunch of money and I was very excited to have gotten them. Who says there is no free lunch?

I also picked up 3 windows for one of our apartments yesterday. I got the windows at a local builder's surplus store. These are 31" X 64" double pane, double hung vinyl replacement windows and I got them for $50 each. They are new but have been sitting outside for some time. With a little cleaning, they should be great!

No comments: