Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Friday, February 16, 2007

Day two of the rehab.

Made a little more progress on the rehab of my now-evicted drug addict's apartment. Today I rehabbed the bedroom which consisted of painting the entire room and removing an illegal electrical outlet that the tenant added. So far, I've only spent $136 on this rehab: $125 for a used refrigerator (including delivery and hauling away the old refrigerator) and $11 for paint. I finished every drop of the first gallon of paint today, so I'll have to get some more to finish the job. Unfortunately, I will be spending more money on this rehab, because I've still got 2 windows to replace, a closet door to repair or replace, a fire extinguisher to replace, and some other things. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Anyone want to see the feces in the bathtub? The water was shut off for about 2 months! YUK! And who said that being a landlord isn't glamourous?

I'm also trying to decide what to do with some of the trim. The apartment has beautiful woodwork that has probably been in this apartment for over 100 years. Unfortunately, this tenant did a lot of damage and I'm thinking of just painting it white. I hate to do that, but it is a rental and I've got to keep that in mind. If it were my personal residence, I'd certainly refinish it, but that isn't very practical with a low income apartment.

In addition to working on the rehab, I went to the courthouse and got my $300 set-out fee back. Here in my little corner of the world, if the landlord does the setout himself, he gets back the $300 that the court makes him put up. Therefore, I always do the setouts myself. In this case, I made two trips to the dump which cost $60 and I paid a helper $40. Therefore, by doing the setout myself, I saved $200 for about 2 hours work. Well worth it to me! Plus, it's kind of theraputic to be able to take all the deadbeat's belongings to the dump!

I spent about 2 hours on the rehab today, which brings me to a total of about 5 hours for the rehab so far.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on doing the cleaning of the bathroom (YUK) and kitchen (YUK).

No comments: