Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Now for the repairs and cleanup!

Yesterday, I had a setout for a druggie that I evicted. Today, I started the rehab of the now vacant apartment. The apartment is a 1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment and sustained considerable cosmetic damage. The tenant and her druggie friends wrote obscene grafitti on the walls, destroyed one closet door, ripped a cabinet door from its hinges, badly stained the new carpet, broke out three windows, damaged the window frames, destroyed one mini-blind, removed one ceiling light, stole the fire extinguisher, removed the battery from the smoke detector, destroyed the refrigerator, and left virtually every surface covered with filth.

In the case of a complete mess like this, I like to do one room at a time. On a normal day, I like to work about 3-4 hours each afternoon and today I spent my 3 hours rehabbing the living room. I started out by removing several nails from the walls and removing the closet door that was destroyed by the tenant. Next, I patched several small holes in the walls. I then painted all of the walls and the entrance door, and replaced the mini-blind. One room done, 3 rooms to go!

In addition to the work on this apartment, I answered about 30 calls from people looking for a rental and showed one apartment to a potential tenant - she didn't like it.

That's about it for today. I'd say that today was a very typical day in my life as a landlord.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to rehab the bedroom.

1 comment:

Rich_in_CT said...

You should post before and after pics as well as costs associatied with this type of repair to give newbies an idea of what is involved.