Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Felon, Felon, Go Away!

Way back on November 10th, one of the topics on my blog concerned a low-income female tenant of mine who allowed a man to shack up with her (against the lease). She started having a bad feeling about the guy and when I helped her do a criminal background check on him, she discovered that he was a convicted felon. His background included trafficking in illegal drugs and carrying a concealed weapon under disability. He is a bad dude!!!

The tenant kicked the guy out on the 10th and I changed the locks for her (she was dumb enough to give him a key). Well, things have gone downhill since then. He has made several threats against her and is apparently trying to carry them out. He started out by slashing her tires TWICE! Then, he found her sitting in her car in town and threw a brick at her windshield. He also harassed her on the telephone until she changed her phone number. The tenant has called the police each time, but so far the police haven't done anything, although they are supposedly looking for him after the brick incident.

This morning, he called me. He accused me of stealing his SS# or driver's license number in order to do the criminal background check. I informed him that criminal records are public information and that you don't need a SS# or driver's license number to check a person's criminal background. Fortunately, I have an unlisted home phone number and NEVER tell anyone where I live. Therefore, he hasn't tried to do anything to me yet, but I am religiously carrying my handgun as always - just to be safe. When you are a landlord, you make a lot of enemies with people you evict; people you decline for a rental; and drug addicts/dealers you turn into the police.

Just part of the daily drama of dealing with low income tenants!

No comments: