Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

THE GOOD:

I finally finished the blocks for my doublewide project today. YEAH!


THE BAD:

Just before I was planning to leave the house yesterday to go work on the blocks for my doublewide project, I received a call from the tenant who was moving into our 3 bedroom duplex. Apparently, when the water company tried to turn the water on, they discovered that the copper piping had been stolen from the basement. So instead of getting to work on the blocks, I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours replacing the copper water lines that had been stolen with PEX (plastic water line). Fortunately, installing the PEX is a very fast and easy repair and the tenant now has water!


THE UGLY!

A few days ago, I got a call from one of my female tenants. She allowed a new shack-up boyfriend to move in and was calling to tell me that she didn't feel safe with him. I reminded her that no-one was allowed to live with her without our written permission. I then suggested that we do a criminal background check on him and I discovered that he had three felony convictions for trafficking in illegal drugs; another felony for carrying a concealed weapon under disability; a misdemeanor for domestic violence, and several other misdemeanors.

Yesterday, I received a call from her. Her felon boyfriend would be out of town for a couple of hours and she was throwing all his belongings out on the curb while he was gone. She wanted to know if I would change the locks before he got back. Since I didn't want a felon in my property and I wanted to protect my tenant, I changed the locks for her. When the felon got back, he was NOT HAPPY to find all his belongings sitting on the street. He called me to complain that "my tenant" had illegally evicted him. I told him that she was not allowed to have other people live there without my permission and as far as I was concerned he had never lived there (he was simply visiting - that's what all the tenants say when they allow someone to move in). He threatened to sue her and me for illegally evicting him, at which point I said "go ahead".

The good news is that he's gone. Even if he does sue me, he won't win. I certainly couldn't evict someone who never lived there!

No comments: