Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, February 21, 2008

In Court!

If you want to reach me early next month, come to the courthouse! Why the courthouse? Because I've got 3 evictions and 1 lawsuit all scheduled to occur in a 2 day period. Two of the evictions are from my new apartment building and one is just a routine deadbeat tenant. I described the lawsuit in an earlier blog entry and unfortunately I'm not at liberty to discuss the case further at this point (just in case the plaintiff or her lawyer is reading this blog). This lawsuit is VERY interesting and I will post the details at a later date. I am meeting with my lawyer tomorrow to discuss the filing of the answer to the lawsuit, which must legally occur by next Wednesday.

As part of my plan to "turn around" all the problems at my new apartment building, I have been making daily trips to the property. I saw both of the tenants that we are evicting and both said they would be out before their court dates, but I'm certainly not counting on that. I certainly don't take the word of liars, deadbeats, and criminals! If they're out - FINE! If not, we'll see if they show up in court. Either way, they're going to be out. In reality, the timing on these evictions is quite good. With the tenants in their apartments through the end of February, they are providing the heat for the apartments during the cold winter weather, which means I don't have to pay for the heat for these units. By the first of March, winter will be mostly over in Ohio and the chances of frozen water lines will be significantly lower.

Speaking of winter, I spent about 1 1/2 hours yesterday shoveling the snow at my apartment buidings. After that, I fixed a leaking toilet and treated an apartment for roaches. Tonight, we're expecting another snow storm, but this time with freezing rain. So, I'll probably be spending some time Friday morning doing some more shoveling.

No comments: