Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Liar, Liar Part Two

Geesh! Another day, another liar.

Today, I showed a two bedroom apartment to a married couple. They are on Section 8 and wanted the apartment. I explained our screening criteria and asked them if they met those requirements. Their answer was an unequivocal YES. The woman had her Section 8 "Request for Tenancy" form with her and I had her sign it. When I returned home, I was so confident that they were going to be acceptable, that I started to fill out the paperwork for Section 8. After a few seconds, I decided that I should do their screening before I spent 20 or 30 minutes on the paperwork. That was a good decision.

Less than a minute into the screening, I discovered that they had an eviction from 2006. I was a little surprised because my gut told me they were going to be alright. I did a little more digging and discovered that the address she listed was not owned by the landlord she listed. That was enough wasted time on this couple and I called them to tell them they were declined. To my surprise, she strongly denied that she had ever been evicted and she insisted that the information on her application was correct. I told her I would call her back in a few minutes.

I then called Section 8 and talked to her case worker. Just as I thought, everything she told me and everything on her application was a lie. I called her back and told her that she was declined for lying and she finally admitted to the lies.

When it comes to applicants - ASSUME EVERYONE IS LYING UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!!!

No comments: