Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Catching Up

I'm a little behind on my posting again, so I'll use this post to catch up.

Last Thursday and Friday, I caught up on several smaller projects. One was what I thought was a clogged sink drain, but ended up being a clogged main sewer drain in one of my apartment buildings. I ended up having my plumber bring in his big electric snake to clean the main drain. It seems that this particular apartment building needs this drain cleaned about once a year. I also finished up the rehab on one of my one bedroom houses. That entailed steam cleaning the carpet, hanging miniblinds, and a lot of cleaning. Another unit ready to rent.

As I was finishing up collecting the rents on Thursday, I had an interesting situation occur. I was standing on the porch at one of my duplexes talking to one of my tenants. I noticed a scruffy guy that looked like a druggie walk to the duplex next door, which is occupied by a known drug dealer that is being setout (evicted) next Tuesday. Suddenly, I heard some glass break and my tenant pointed to the guy who was breaking the windows. I called the police. By the time the police arrived 15 minutes later, the druggie was gone. However, a couple of minutes later, I saw this idiot casually walking down the street about a block away. I called the police again and this time I followed the guy, continually giving the police his location. About three blocks away, the police finally stopped the guy. He had drugs in his pocket; a big wad of cash; and some items in a bag that appeared to be stolen property. I identified the guy as the criminal who had broken the window and the police arrested him and took him to jail. I'll let the other landlord know who did it, so that she might be able to get restitution when this loser goes to trial.

On Friday, I took 3-day eviction notices to the tenants who had not yet paid - SIX OF THEM! One of these tenants just moved into one of my 1-bedroom apartments last month. When I knocked on his door, it opened. There was nothing in the apartment. No food, no clothes, no furniture - nothing. The key was on the kitchen counter. Therefore, I considered this apartment to be abandoned in the absence of rent. Since I had another applicant looking for a one-bedroom, I changed the locks and signed a lease with the new tenant. That's the kind of turnaround that I really like - change the locks, sign a new lease, and I'm done!

I'm expecting the other tenants to pay by Tuesday with the $50 late fee (the final day of the 3-day notice period). If not, I'll file the evictions on Wednesday.

Yesterday (Saturday), I went mountain biking with a friend from Church. The course was wet and slippery, which made it quite challenging. We had a great time and got home in time to see the end of the Ohio State game. After the game, I worked on my bike. It has taken quite a beating this summer during all these mountain biking trips. The pedals are bent from hitting roots and rocks; the brakes were out of adjustment (hopefully fixed); and the front derailler isn't quite right. I may need to take the bike to the shop for a tune-up.

Today, in addition to church, I'll be taking another bike ride (concentrating on the hills).

There we are - caught up! I'll try to do better with the posting next week.

No comments: