Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Working on the Two Bedroom House

I spent some time yesterday and today working on my 2 bedroom house that is being inspected by Section 8 tomorrow (Friday). The work included replacing the carpet in the kitchen; replacing missing outlet and switch covers; painting the wood floor in the utility room; installing an overflow tube on the water heater; replacing light bulbs; doing some general cleaning; etc. Nothing major, just the routine work that is required to get a property ready for an inspection. The inspection is between 3pm and 5pm tomorrow and I still have a little work to do tomorrow, including replacing two broken windows, installing a few miniblinds, cleaning the carpet, fixing an exhaust fan; and installing one smoke detector.

I also need to pick up my bike and my friend's bike tomorrow at the bike shop. My friend's bike got a new rear derailler bracket. My bike got a tune-up; new pedals; a new yoke for the handlebars; the rear wheel straightened or replaced; and a new mirror.

This two bedroom house that I have been working on has been a little bit of an anomaly for me. Because my wife and I have been gone so many days lately (at a seminar, then camping, and then on a motorcycle trip this weekend), I decided to hire someone to paint the interior of this house. I have had a college student that has been pestering me for a job and so I hired him to do the painting. As usual, I was NOT happy with the experience. He did an acceptable job of painting, but he called me several times during the job for silly things. More significantly, I asked him to be sure to lock the door when he wasn't on the jobsite, and he couldn't even accomplish this simple task. On the day after he finished the job, I went by to check the result and found the door UNLOCKED! This is EXACTLY why I don't like to hire people. I'd rather do it myself and do it right and without the hassle!!!

No comments: