Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Section 8 Inspection - Passed!

Today's primary goal was to pass the yearly Section 8 inspection on one of my 3 bedroom houses. The tenant is a single mother with 5 kids (all very young) and of course children under 6. Having children under age 6 means that the paint must pass the Section 8 inspection, which is always the most difficult aspect of a Section 8 inspection. The way I normally handle things is to check the rental the day before the Section 8 inspection, so that any items that need attention can be fixed. My quick check of the unit yesterday uncovered one broken window; one missing light switch cover; one hole in the wall; some spots where the paint needed attention; and two loose window panes in the basement.

The inspection was scheduled for 2pm - 4pm today, so I went to the house at about 12:30 pm. First, I installed new glass in the broken window. Then, I caulked the loose window panes in the basement. Third on the priority list was to replace the missing switch cover. Next was patching the hole in the wall. Finally, I went around the house and touched up any paint that needed it, concentrating on the window frame areas. I was finished by 1:45 pm and just about that time the Section 8 inspector arrived. He was a little early, but I was ready. The unit passed with flying colors.

After the inspection, I collected several rents and then trashed out the basement of one of our 3 bedroom duplexes. That was enough for one day.

No comments: