Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Friday, November 14, 2008

PimpMobile!

For the second time in three days, I was a stereotypical landlord today - fixing a toilet. In fact, today's toilet problem was exactly the same as Wednesday's - a broken tank bolt. Fortunately, today's project went much smoother and probably only took about 3o minutes to fix.

My initial plan for the day was to do some painting on the pink elephant. Today was forecast to be the last beautiful, warm day of the week. I did some painting on the pink elephant yesterday and I wanted to finish up some of the trim today. However, no plan survives the first call of the morning and this morning's call was from a previously screened applicant who wanted to rent a 2-bedroom apartment in the pink elephant. Therefore, my first project this morning was to sign a lease with my new tenant, and of course to get the money!

After completing that, I met another applicant who wanted to rent my last remaining 2 bedroom apartment. She liked the apartment and filled out an application. I did screen her application this evening and she passed. We are scheduled to do her paperwork on Monday.

When it rains, it pours... and today it was pouring - applicants, that is. Just as the applicant finished filling out her application for the last 2-bedroom apartment, I received a call from yet another applicant. This applicant wanted to see my only available 3-bedroom house. As I pulled up in front of the house, I began to get that uneasy feeling. There, in front of my house, was what could only be described as a PimpMobile. The shiny yellow Caddy with HUGE chrome rims shouted "I'm a druggie". In my experience, people dress and drive what they want to be. A older man driving a red corvette is likely having a mid life crisis. A person driving a PimpMobile is likely a druggie. As I approached the car, I noticed a relatively nice and normal-looking woman sitting inside - clearly not what I was expecting. She got out of the car and I discovered that she was well dressed and well spoken. I began to think that my first impression might have been wrong. I showed her the house and she wanted to rent it. She filled out an application and her Section 8 paperwork.

I checked her application this evening and was sorry to determine that my first impression was indeed correct. She had recently been evicted. The car belonged to her boyfriend, who had a lengthy criminal record. A previous landlord had nothing but bad things to say about her. She had an $800 unpaid water bill. Once again, my gut feeling was right - she was nothing but trouble and I'm not having any part of that!!! APPLICATION - DENIED!!!

No comments: