Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Finally Started on the Floor

I finally got started on the kitchen floor of the 2 bedroom house today. Things went fairly smoothly and I got about 3/4 of the floor done. I am still not satisfied with the joints between the individual laminate panels. I re-read the instructions for the installation and was very careful with each piece of laminate, yet there are still wider gaps in some of the panels than I would like. This is an old house and nothing is square or perfectly level, so that may be having an effect on the job.

My brother-in-law has a very large rental business and I may talk to him about observing his next installation. He has a guy that installs his laminate and this guy does an excellent job. There may be some tricks of the trade that I need to learn from an expert.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Mike, I've used laminate many times and it definitely gets easier to install with practice. I've used it on fairly flat, square rooms and out of level, out of plumb houses and that doesn't seem to affect the gaps in between boards... that comes with practice. I wish I could tell you a secret technique, but it's really just about finding the right pressure on each board and the right way of hitting the block on the other end. I usually use one foot near the joint to push on the board and hit from the other end. A good block is key as well as the angle you hit the block at.

propertymanager said...

Thanks Ryan,

It's comforting to know that it will get better with practice. So far, I'm not overly pleased with my efforts.