Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ran Off a Druggie!

I caught a druggie on my security cameras slinking around my property a couple of days ago. This guy is the same homeless druggie that stole a bicycle from one of my tenants several months ago. When I saw him, he was on the sidewalk by my apartment building with his grocery cart full of his belongings. He has been barred from my property and I will have him arrested for criminal tresspass if I seem him actually on the property. The problem was that he left his shopping cart full of clothes in front of my building, which was an eyesore and certainly not the image I'm trying to project.

I took his cart to the edge of my property and put it with the trash cans. The next day, he took his belongings out of the cart and put it on the porch of a house a couple of doors down, leaving me the cart. I am simply not going to put up with riff-raff hanging around my property. I've spent a lot of time and effort cleaning up the area and I'm not going to allow it to be taken over by losers.

As I was at the building to pick up supplies today, I saw this druggie walking down the sidewalk. I told him in no uncertain terms that I will not permit him to be on the property and that I will aggressively have him prosecuted if I see any evidence of illegal activity from him in the area. I advised him to go elsewhere and avoid the area. As part of my efforts, I also had a lengthy conversation with a local police officer about the issue and he agreed to keep an eye on the area and on this particular criminal.

My projects today started with re-connecting the water lines in the two bedroom house that I rented a couple of days ago. As each house goes vacant, I've been installing a Sharkbite quick disconnect fitting in the main water line just after the water line enters the house. That allows me to quickly disconnect the water line if the house becomes vacant during the winter. That permits draining all the water from the lines and allows me to leave the heat off without fear of having frozen water lines.

My next project was fixing several small maintenance issues at a two-bedroom house that I recently rented. The repairs included installing a new shower head; fixing a sink stopper; installing two new faucets for the clothes washer; fixing a leaking sink; and repairing a loose window pane. This all went uncharacteristically smoothly and I finished all of these items in about an hour.

My final project of the day was to visit one of my tenants in a nursing home where she is finishing a long rehab after having nearly died from a very serious pneumonia. She needs a ramp installed and she needs the couch elevated about 4 inches. She is still extremely weak and will have a difficult time getting up the step and getting out of the low-sitting couch. So, I met her at the nursing home to discuss installing the ramp and elevating the couch for her. A member of the rehab staff met with us to discuss the dimensions of the ramp. I'm planning to build the ramp tomorrow.

That was it for the day and I was home by 3pm. I also played my new James Bond Quantum of Solace game some more this afternoon and evening and made it through the Science Center level. I really like that game and highly recommend it.

I'm hoping to get a few more things done this week, because I'm planning to be gone on a little trip with my wife for 5 days starting Sunday.

No comments: