Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Freak Show, Part Deux

After buying 12 new rentals and getting 10 new tenants last month, there were a lot more rents to collect this month. I was very pleased that every tenant paid. I've found that you are at the highest risk of a tenant not paying the first month after move-in. However, my luck with the tenants all paying did not mask my displeasure with one of my new tenants (who will be leaving soon). When I went to pick up the rent from her, she had a legal size paper completely filled with complaints. On the first line of this legal size piece of paper, she had written TRASH. She explained that she didn't know what to do with the trash. I told her when she moved in that we paid water/sewer/trash and that she could ask a neighbor what day the trash was picked up. She complained that the trash was my responsibility and that she shouldn't be required to talk to any neighbors. At that point, I KNEW I HAD A FREAK ON MY HANDS!!!

The next complaint was DUST. She explained that birds were flying around in the adjacent apartment (ridiculous) and that the birds were causing dust mites to bite her. Of course, dust mites are microscopic and can't possibly be seen with the human eye. In addition, I'm quite sure that imaginary birds have nothing to do with dust mites!!!

Before she could move on to her third complaint, I abruptly stopped the conversation. I told her that she was on a month to month lease and invited her to leave by the end of the month. She said that she might want to stay if I would address her concerns. However, I explained to her that I can't get rid of imaginary birds or convince invisible dust mites not to bite her. Therefore, I strongly suggested that her best course of action was to leave ASAP! Maybe her new apartment wouldn't have imaginary birds, neighbors, or angry dust mites. WHAT A FREAK!

This nutjob is one of the many reasons that I only do month-to-month leases with low income tenants. Even if their background check is good, you never know when you're going to have a FREAK slip through the cracks. This is my second nut in 3 1/2 years of being a landlord. I tell the entire story of my first experience with a freak in my book. She was absolutely certifiable and has been spending her time in jail since we kicked her out.

No comments: