Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"Men Don't Read Directions"

Today's project was to install the kit that I bought yesterday to convert an old claw foot tub into a shower. At about 11am, I went to the apartment to start the installation. To my surprise, when I opened the box, there were no instructions inside. The kit contained a LOT of parts and it wasn't at all obvious how to assemble the parts. I assumed that the instructions were missing and that other parts might also be missing. It's pretty typical for things to go wrong like this, so I put everything back in the box and headed back to the plumbing shop.

The plumbing shop is a family owned business that has had the same people working there for many years. Two of the regular employees are men and one is a woman. Today, I was waited on by the female employee. I explained the situation to her and to my surprise she informed me that the shower conversion kit did not have any instructions. I told her that I was very surprised that the kit didn't have any instructions and she said "men don't read instructions anyway". I guess she put me in my place!!! Actually, there is probably some truth to that statement. Unfortunately, I still had the same problem, a box full of a couple dozen parts and no instructions. Fortunately, the female employee knew how to install it and she explained the process to me.

After the short delay for my plumbing lesson, I was indeed able to install the shower kit without any further problems. The tenant was very grateful and my day was done!

No comments: