Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Monday, August 25, 2008

Sad Day

Today started on a sad note, with the funeral for one of my tenants. I was honored by the family to be asked to be a pallbearer. I spent a significant part of the day at the funeral and the cemetary. This was a very untimely and unexpected death, with my 48 year old tenant suffering a sudden blood clot. The tenant and her long time roommate lived in the Pink Elephant, which is the apartment building that I have been working so hard to take back from the druggies, deadbeats, and criminals. In fact, this hard work is exactly why I was asked to be a pallbearer. The family told me that my tenant appreciated everything I have done to improve the neighborhood. Somehow, that makes all the hard work; all the struggles with the druggies; all the court hearings; all the renovation; and all the painting seem very worthwhile. I'm sorry that the tenant didn't live to see the completion of the renovation. The druggies, deadbeats, and criminals are mostly gone, but only about half of the cosmetic rehab is done.

After the funeral, I spent a couple of hours doing three minor projects. The first was to pour industrial strength drain cleaner down a slow drain at one apartment. Next, I sealed every nook and cranny I could find in another apartment that has had a bat problem. For some reason, here in our little corner of Ohio, the bat population has exploded this summer and many tenants have had bats in their rentals. Bats are good for keeping the mosquito population down, but having bats flying around the house can be a bit nerve-racking for the tenants! Finally, I did some painting in the three bedroom duplex I've been working on. I'm hoping to make a lot of progress on that unit tomorrow!

That was enough for one day and I'm looking forward to a happier day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For all the talk about running rentals like a business, it's nice to find out you're appreciated. Too bad it took an incident like this.

valrossie said...

This book delievers the truth about rental property purchasing and ownership. Mr. Rossi does away with all the rosy portraits of " making big bucks fast" in real estate. The author tells the reader what the inexperienced investor doesn't want to hear: rentals are work, and its tough work.


---------------
valrossie
Internet marketing