Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Looking for a Decent Tenant

Still looking for a decent tenant for my 3-bedroom house. I had a middle aged couple come by to look at the house yesterday. They filled out an application and want the house. When I asked them where they lived, they said they were staying with a friend, which is almost always a RED FLAG! The woman filled out the application, but the man only put his name, but failed to include his middle initial, birthdate, or social security number - another RED FLAG. I asked to see their driver's licenses and added the man's info to the application.

When I did the screening, both of these people technically passed our basic criteria. However, there are so many warning signs and past problems, that I'm going to turn them down. The woman had two evictions, in 1991 and 2000 (nine years apart). That says to me that their financial situation was not improving over an entire decade and they lacked character over a 10 year period. The woman claimed to be injured and sued K-mart. She looked completely healthy but is on disability. I don't like people that are trying to get rich suing people!!! The man had two full pages on his criminal report (mostly traffic infractions), but including a criminal offense for writing a bad check in 1999. Finally, the woman has filed for a restraining order against another woman THIS MONTH! I'm betting the other woman is the man's ex-something. I don't need this kind of drama and I certainly don't want these people in one of my best rentals.

No comments: