Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Monday, December 24, 2007

Break-in

I spent about 2 hours working today (if you could call it work). Today started out with me inspecting the new roof that I had put on one of my apartment building. This was the most difficult part of the day as that roof is WAY UP THERE and the contractor's ladder was very flimsy. At any rate, since I paid $2,000 to have the roof redone, I felt compelled to get my courage up and climb that rickety ladder and take a look. The job looked good and I wrote the contractor a check for the work he did.

I then went over to one of our apartments that had been involved in a break-in on the evening of the 22nd. The tenant called me yesterday to inform me that his apartment had been broken into. I always ask if the tenant called the police and if the police caught the criminals - they had. The criminal was in jail and has been charged with felony aggravated burglary and criminal tresspassing. I then asked if he knew the criminal - he did! In almost every case in which one of my tenants has been the victim of a crime, it is their fault. They hang around with scum and then are victimized by the scum. That is exactly what happened in this case. My tenant was friends with this criminal, who was a local tattoo artist, and the criminal broke in to steal his prescription medication and other things. This is very typical with low income tenants. They have a lot of problems and they are all self-inflicted!!!

The criminal kicked in the lower panel of a side door and broke the door jam. I screwed the door shut (with 3 inch screws) and made a wood panel to replace the broken panel. That was it for today!

Have a Merry Christmas!

No comments: