Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Monday, December 31, 2007

Another Day in Court!

I am actually off today as I have been for most of the past week or so. However, I had to make an appearance in court today for a lawsuit I have against a previous tenant. This lawsuit was originally scheduled earlier in the month, but my attorney had a sick child and the court proceedings were rescheduled.

I normally don't sue tenants for damages after we evict them, but these tenants made me angry. Therefore, I'm suing them just to make their lives miserable. They spread tacks and nails throughout the house to make cleaning the carpet difficult and the intentionally made a BIG mess of the place. The straw that broke the camel's back was that they abandoned a little kitten outside in freezing temperatures. Fortunately, I found it in time to save it, but these tenants were just real scumbags and I wanted to make a point.

The tenants didn't show up in court today and I received a judgement for almost $3,000. I probably won't collect it, but I will try to make their lives miserable for the next few years. In addition, they will have a judgement on their credit report and an eviction on their record. That should make it impossible for them to buy a house and make it difficult to find places to rent.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I bet there are many landlords that just beat themselves up about the tenant, the missing rent, the condition of the property and move on. Good for you for going after the deadbeats!

I think all of us need to take a harder stance on problem tenants.

propertymanager said...

Scott,

You got that right! If every landlord would at least ensure that the deadbeats have an eviction on their record, we would all be better off!

Mike