Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Let the Painting Begin!

A lot has happened in the past few days. I've rented several vacant rentals and am close to being full! Yeah!

I have also started painting the Pink Elephant, which is what I call my new apartment building. If I was being more accurate, I'd call it the Titanic instead of the Pink Elephant. It's absolutely huge. If it were straightened out instead of being U-shaped, this building would stretch half a block. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. How do you paint the Titanic? One brush-stroke at a time.

I actually started the painting yesterday. It was a BEAUTIFUL, SUNNY DAY and I was thrilled to be able to work outside! I couldn't imagine being cooped up in an office (like so many 9-5ers) on such a beautiful day and I feel very fortunate to be able to spend nice days outside. Since the building is so large, I wanted to start with a very small section and paint it to check out the colors. My intent was to have a deep, but glossy gray with gloss white for trim. I matched (or tried to match) a house down the street that is painted the color I wanted my building to be. Unfortunately, my deep gray turned out to be a blue-gray. It is a nice enough color, but not what I really wanted. So, back to Walmart for another try. It rained today, so I didn't get to try some of the new paint on the building, but I did paint a single brick and I think the color will be better!

Today was day 3 of my monthly 4 day rent collection period. I've collected a lot of the rents and will finish up tomorrow. So far, I don't know of any tenants that will need to be evicted.

Even though I've evicted all the drug dealers from the pink elephant, I still have various druggies coming around. Today, I kicked one of the local drug dealers off the property. He's a real trouble maker, having been arrested 63 times including one felony for theft and dozens of misdemeanors including drugs and carrying a concealed weapon! I won't be turning my back on this loser!

Tomorrow, I'll finish up the rent collection for the month and then Saturday I'm off to the shooting range (and classroom) to get recurrent training for my concealed carry permit. When you're working around drug dealers, you need a little protection!

No comments: