Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Down 2

You never know what is going to happen in the rental business. Yesterday was a good example. Rent collection was over on Friday and I had one tenant that didn't pay. This tenant has always paid on time and I just assumed that she forgot. I left 2 messages on her answering machine and didn't receive a call back. Since I didn't hear from her over the weekend, I posted a 3-day notice on her door yesterday. If you're wondering why I didn't post it Saturday, the answer is that posting it on Saturday wouldn't have made a difference. In Ohio, the 3 day notice must cover 3 business days. Since I still haven't heard from this tenant, I'm expecting to evict her and will file with the court on Thursday (the first day allowed by law). Down 1 Tenant!

Then, yesterday while I was installing electric heat in one of our apartments, I received a call from a tenant who just moved in last month. This is a Section 8 tenant who has a 1 year lease. She informed me that she was moving and would be out by last night. Her reason was that she is having anxiety attacks and that she is moving out of state to be near a relative. It's a freak show out there! Down 2 Tenants!

This tenant will lose her Section 8 eligibility due to her decision. She also paid a one-month security deposit which I'm keeping as damages against the broken lease. Who knows if the anxiety attack excuse was true. Tenants often lie when they want to move.

No comments: