Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Monday, January 28, 2008

Tub Drain Repaired

I spent about 2 hours today working on a tub drain that had split after being frozen in the recent cold. I received a call at the end of last week about a clogged drain line. Going on the KISS principle, I attempted to clear the clog by using drain cleaner (on two successive days). Unfortunately, what had actually happened is that the tub is located with the plumbing literally in an exterior wall. In the basement, the trap for the tub is actually located inside one of the blocks of the basement wall. WHAT A STUPID ARRANGEMENT!!! I don't know what decade that kind of engineering would have been tolerated, but that is where the pipes were located. In the extreme cold of the past few days, the water in the trap had frozen and subsequently caused the old cast iron pipe to split. To repair this fiasco, I cut out the old pipes and installed PVC in its place. In the process, I moved the trap about 2 feet into the basement so that it would be less prone to freezing.

After completing the drain work, I proceeded to the 2 bedroom house that I've been working on. I installed some transition strips at the carpet joints and cleaned up the trash that was outside (frozen to the ground). Tomorrow, the professional carpet cleaner is coming to try steam clean the carpet. The carpet is VERY DIRTY and STAINED, but I'm not going to change it unless absolutely necessary. This is a lower income rental ($500 per month) and changing the carpet is not warranted unless it looks terrible after being cleaned.

No comments: