Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Interesting Predicament

I had an interesting situation develop this week. As I said in an earlier post, I had one tenant that didn't pay her rent. She has been a very good tenant up to this point, and despite several attempts to contact her, she has ducked my phone calls. Following my standard procedure, I posted the 3 day notice on Monday which was the first business day after the rent became late. That meant that today (Thursday) was the first day I could file the eviction with the court.

Since I hadn't heard a word from the tenant, I posted a 24 hour inspection notice on her door yesterday when I went into town for a few minutes to run a couple of personal errands. The 3 Day Notice was still taped to the door and there was a handwritten note that said she would be out on the 11th (Friday).

That left me with an interesting situation. My policy is to file the eviction in court on the first possible day. However, if she really was going to leave voluntarily, I didn't want to waste the money filing an eviction. Since her note said that she would be out on Friday, I decided to give her ONE extra day to see if she was out and file the eviction in court Friday if she wasn't gone. Per my 24 hour notice, I went by the apartment this afternoon to inspect her apartment and she was already gone. The apartment was completely clean and ready to re-rent. End of story.

2 comments:

truebuckeye said...

Nice of her to just leave. I wish my tenents were more like that when they don't pay. It always drags on and on.

propertymanager said...

I feel your pain. Mine usually hang on like the leaches they are!!!