Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Great progress today!

Today was a very productive day. I started the day by replacing a defective shutoff valve and some of the water line at one of my new 2 bedroom rentals. Of course, I replaced it with PEX, which is a plastic line. With all the copper thefts recently, it is absolutely foolish to put copper in any rentals! This started out as a $36 job, but ended up being a $186 job after I needed to buy a 3/4 inch crimp tool for PEX and a bag of 3/4 inch collars. I already had a 1/2 inch crimp tool, which I use frequently, but the main line was 3/4 inch. However, I replace water lines all the time and I know I will need this tool again, so I bought it.

After finishing this job, I had an applicant come by to take a look at this and a couple other rentals. After showing her three rentals, I decided to stop by my new apartment building on the way back. When I approached the building, I could see that someone was sitting on the steps in front of the building. It was the drug addict that was arrested a couple of weeks ago!!! He had apparently just gotten out of jail and was already back at the property. I told him to IMMEDIATELY leave the property or I would have him arrested again. He left and I watched him go down the street.

I then returned to the property to clean up the roof and back yard. Some tenants are simply pigs. The previous pigs that inhabited this house had thrown a bunch of stuff onto the roof. This included beer cans, a fan, some toys, and other stuff. The back yard was even worse than the roof. There was all kinds of trash and debris back there and I bagged it all up. Finally, I repaired the wooden privacy fence, which was literally falling down. The posts were firmly in the ground, but whoever originally put the fence up had used nails that were too short to install the panels. One entire section had fallen off and another section was only attached at one end by a single nail. I used 4 inch galvanized screws to reinstall the panels. With that project complete, I called it a day.

No comments: