Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Friday, March 14, 2008

Controlled Chaos!

One of the things I like about the rental property business is the unpredictable nature of the business. "Never a dull moment" is certainly an accurate description of the rental property business. Yesterday was a good example. My intention was to work on rehabbing a two bedroom apartment, however I ended up doing a bunch of other things as well.

First, I hauled the belongings of the tenant that we set-out on Tuesday to the dump. Fortunately, a bunch of the belongings were pilfered by the upstanding citizens of the community, so I was able to haul all the stuff to the bank with one truck and trailer load!

Next, I received a call from one of the tenants whose toilet was running. This wasn't a big problem and I was able to fix it in only a few minutes.

After the toilet repair, I went to Lowes to buy carpet for my rehab. While at Lowes, I received a call from the plumber who was coming to clear tree roots from the sewer line at my new apartment building. I finished my shopping and drove to the building to oversee the tree root removal. This is the plumber I use for all difficult sewer problems and they were able to rapidly clear the sewer line with their water jet machine.

After all this extraneous stuff, I finally arrived at the apartment to begin laying carpet. I was able to lay 3 rooms of carpet and scrape the wood floor in another room (for painting).

That is the way this business goes - controlled chaos! The plan for the day usually doesn't last more than the first 5 minutes of the day. "Go with the flow" is the phrase that best describes the rental property business.

No comments: