Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Floor Sanded

This week, I'm trying to get a one-bedroom apartment finished. It's one that I painted recently and needed to finish the floor. I rented a floor sander and spent Monday afternoon sanding the floor. The floor needed sanded because the previous owner saw fit to GLUE the carpet down (or maybe a tenant did it). I was surprised at how well the sander did removing the rock hard glue.

Today, I had two Section 8 inspections (annual recertification inspections). I pride myself on passing the inspections on the first attempt, but that certainly wasn't the case today. Everything that I had control of passed. However, at the first rental, the tenant suddenly remembered that the roof was leaking in one small spot. In the second rental, the tenant's kid had just broken one of the window panes. So, I have those two things to repair before the reinspection on the 27th.

After the Section 8 inspections, I intended to paint the floor that I sanded on Monday. However, when I went to Lowes to pick up the floor paint, I discovered that it was no longer available. The woman at the paint counter said that they weren't allowed to sell the paint any longer because the VOC's (volatile organic compounds) in this oil based paint were too high. That was extremely disappointing to me as this was very good paint.

So, I spent a good bit of time after that driving all over town trying to find an oil based floor paint at a reasonable price. I finally found an oil based floor paint that appears to be suitable at Menards, but it was about 3pm by then, so I just gave up and came home. It was a beautiful day here in Ohio, so I got a nice bike ride in before dinner. I'm trying to get started with my training for the upcoming mountain biking season!

Tomorrow morning, I will try again to paint the floor in the apartment that I sanded on Monday. After that, I will be in court. I'm the main witness for the prosecution in the criminal trial of a local criminal. This was the case that I discussed a couple of months ago in which a criminal attempted to break into several of my apartments and then attempted to kill a family in an apartment building that is next to one of my apartment buildings. He piled trash on their doorstep at 4am and lit it on fire so that they couldn't escape. My surveillance system caught it all on tape and the picture is EXCELLENT! The pretrial is tomorrow and then the trial is on Thursday. I was subpoenaed for both days. Hopefully, they'll put this moron away for a long time - we'll see. I don't have much faith in our justice system.

No comments: