Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pulling Staples

My primary project today was to work on the only 3 bedroom house that I have vacant. The tenants left suddenly because they couldn't afford the rent and they left the house a mess. A lot of the carpet needs to be removed or changed and that's where I started today. I started in the living room and removed all the carpet and the pad. As you've heard me say, I NEVER put pads in rentals, but this particular house was my very first house from 5 1/2 years ago and I wasn't very smart about rehabbing rentals at that time. Fortunately, I installed that pad and there weren't a million staples in the pad like there often is when a "professional" installer goes crazy with their staple gun. I spent about 3 hours removing the carpet, pad, and staples. My plan is to sand the floor and then paint it with oil based floor paint.

After finishing the living room, I spent another half hour cleaning the carpet in the downstairs bedroom. Fortunately, the carpet in this room will be salvageable.

By this time, I was tired of working inside and wanted to go for my daily bike ride. The weather was absolutely perfect - sunny and about 70 degrees! I brought my bike with me to work today because there is a bike path near the house I'm working on. I ended up riding 12 1/2 miles and got a very good workout. My weigh-in when I got home showed that I have lost 3 pounds and have 22 to go. No carbs today. I'm hoping that I can lose another pound tomorrow, but I'm sure that my weight loss is going to slow down. The last time I lost 25 pounds, I averaged about 1/2 pound per day.

Tomorrow, I'm planning on working on the carpet in the upstairs bedrooms. I'm also planning to take another long bike ride - hopefully 14 miles!

No comments: