Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Unbelievable Demand!

My normal workdays during warmer months usually go something like this. I like to get up early and watch the news; watch CNBC; put in any stock or option trades I might be doing (just a hobby); answer e-mails and do a little posting on internet forums; and then go to work sometime between 10 am and 11 am. I typically work for 3-4 hours and arrive home before the last hour of stock market trading. After the market closes, I like to do something like ride my bicycle; ride my motorcycle; or even go scuba diving. Believe it or not, Ohio has excellent scuba diving in a lot of quarries.

The weather today was forecast to be excellent early in the day and then there was a slight chance of rain later in the day. So, I decided to change the order of events for the day. About 11am, I headed for the bike path and rode 14.3 miles. It was a grueling ride as there was a strong wind in my face for the last 7 miles. I'm trying to get into shape for mountain biking season, but that 14 mile ride just about killed me! I think I'll take a shorter ride, maybe 7 miles, tomorrow to give myself a day to rest.

After riding, I took my bike to the bike shop. My bike has disc brakes and the back brake is badly bent. That happens on these mountain biking courses as we jump obstacles and occassionally wreck our bikes trying to get over or around obstacles. At any rate, the brake was dragging every time the wheel made a rotation and was producing an annoying squeak. The technician at the bike shop attempted to straighten it, but it still wasn't right. So, he ordered a new disc brake, which should be in Friday. I took the bike with me and will ride it until he gets the part in.

About 2pm, I finally got to my 3 bedroom house to continue working on the rehab. The project for today was to remove the carpet in one of the upstairs bedrooms. While I was working on the carpet, I had two people stop by to look at the apartment. One was a Section 8 tenant that says she'll take the apartment and will put down a deposit tomorrow. That just shows how incredibly strong the rental demand is in the area. This house still looks TERRIBLE and under more normal circumstances, no-one would have committed to take it in this state of ugliness. Of course, I will be working on this house for the next week or so and it will be very nice before the tenant will be allowed to move in.

I had an ealy dinner engagement, so I had to quit early today (about 4pm). Although I only worked a couple of hours, I was happy with the work I got done and happy about finding a potential tenant for the house.

If you're following my weight loss saga, as of today I've lost 4 pounds with 21 more to go. I probably won't be able to lose a whole pound tomorrow as today's 14 mile excursion really tired me out and I won't be riding that far tomorrow.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Hey Mike, love reading your blog and learning about the rental business in the process. I check it everyday for new posts and look forward to you continuing to share with the world the 'non-sugar coated' life of a landlord. By the way I scuba dive as well usually at Dutch Springs, PA. Although work makes it tough to go all the time like I'd like to.

propertymanager said...

Tom,

Thanks for the kind comments about my blog. I'm glad that you enjoy it. I'll check out Dutch Springs - I'm always looking for somewhere new to go!

Thanks,

Mike