Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oops!

Let's talk about the good before I confess my mistake.

Today was a beautiful day here in Ohio. Sunny and 65 degrees - nearly a perfect day for painting. So far, I've painted about 3/4 of the new duplex and today I made more progress, completing the lower half (about 13 feet high) of the final side. Tomorrow, I'll get a chance to work on my fear of heights again as I the paint the top 12 feet of this side. Then, all that will be left is to paint some trim and have the Section 8 inspection on Monday.

I returned home from the painting today at about 5pm. My plan was to have dinner and then go for a bike ride with my wife. Unfortunately, nobody told my tenants that I was planning on having a fun evening. Just after dinner, I received a call from the college girls that just moved into one of our 3 bedroom houses. There was a pool of water in the laundry room, which is in the basement. The girls didn't know where the water was coming from, so I told them that I would check it out this evening. On the way to check out the water problem, I received a call from the tenant that received the new shower yesterday. He said the water was not going down the drain. Ugh! That needed to be checked out also!

Fortunately, the pool of water in the girls' house turned out to be a very simple problem. The condensation tube for the air conditioner runs into the washer drain tube. When the previous tenant moved out, she apparently took the condensation tube out of the drain tube and left it hanging in the air. Leak fixed and in record time!

Next, I went to check out the problem with the new shower. This is where the "oops" comes in. It seems that when I installed the new shower, I failed to level the shower floor. The water is pooling to one side of the unlevel shower floor instead of moving toward the center drain. Oops! It looks like a simple fix - putting a shim under one side of the shower base. Although a relatively simple fix, I'll do that another day. The shower is usable and this is no big deal.

That was it for today. No bike ride, but no major problems either.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like you need to get yourself a manager...

propertymanager said...

A propertymanager will cost you about 10 percent of the gross rents and paid maintenance another 10 percent. That extra money that you earn by doing the management and maintenance amounts to several thousand dollars each month when you have a lot of rentals.

What would I do if I weren't doing rental property stuff? Watch soap operas or sit by the pool all day? No thanks.