Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Life is Always Interesting!

Today started with my pickup truck biting the dust. That's bad news because all of my tools are in there and I depend on it for my rental business. It all started a couple of weeks ago, when the "check engine" light came on. There were no problems that I could discern and I was in the middle of rehabbing the rentals that I had just acquired. Therefore, I decided to wait until my schedule improved to take the truck to the shop.

Within a few days, the RPM began to act erratically when stopped. Then, the speedometer would occassionally drop to zero and the odometer would become all dashes. I continued to hope that I could complete my rehab work before losing the use of my truck. A couple of days ago, my ABS (anti-skid braking) light came on and the brakes would intermittently pulse as the brakes were applied. Things rapidly got worse and I was forced to take the truck to my local Ford dealer for $987 worth of work. I'm hoping to get it back tomorrow.

In the mean time, I rode my motorcycle to work today. My project today was to run a new electrical circuit to the new water heater in one of our apartments. I was able to carry enough tools in my saddlebags to get the job done.

After all my recent work, I had hoped to take a couple of months break before buying any more property. However, I received a call today from a successful local investor who had a property she wants to sell. I really wasn't too interested until she said that the 7 unit apartment building would be leased to the government for $3,800 per month and the sale price was only $105,000 (and it needs about $20,000 in modifications). That means that the monthly gross rents are more than 3% of the acquisition cost! That is a hard deal to pass up. I'm going to look at it tomorrow! I'll probably do something with it even though I had hoped to take a break.

No comments: