Michael Rossi's Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give you a look at the daily life of a rental property owner. It's not all sitting on a yacht like you see on the TV Infomercials! Visit our Website at: www.1MinuteToRentalPropertyRiches.com

Saturday, May 19, 2007

What's that smell?

I took it easy this morning and didn't go to work until noon. My project today was to finish the second of three apartments at one of our new apartment buildings. There really wasn't much left to do. I had to patch a small hole in the wall; install 2 miniblinds; and make an access panel out of drywell for the water heater area.

The tenant had moved most of their stuff in yesterday. I knew that they had a small dog and cat, and had them sign a pet agreement when we did the lease. However, today I was a little surprised to find a PYTHON in the apartment. I guess I forgot to ask if they had any snakes from the Amazon! Oh well. I didn't get too excited about the snake and as long as they don't allow it to roam free, it's ok with me.

However, what wasn't OK with me was the smell when I went into the back apartment. This apartment is vacant and it's probably been a month or so since I spent more than 2 minutes in there (when I looked at the apartment before we bought the building). I had showed the apartment to the potential tenant who is going to rent it a couple of days ago, but somehow didn't notice how bad the smell was. I am accustomed to seeing and smelling some nasty things, but the smell today almost made me throw-up. It smelled like something died and was in the latter stages of decay. Opening the door of the unplugged refrigerator answered the all important question - WHERE. The smell almost knocked me over! I went to the truck and got an industrial trash bag and gloves. As I started cleaning the filth out of the refrigerator/freezer, I noticed that something was MOVING. I put my glasses on and realized that the freezer portion was full of live magots. YUK! I finished cleaning up the mess and then headed home. That was enough for one day. I'll probably have to spray some OdorX in the refrigerator on Monday. That smell deserves more than a box of baking soda!

If the rental business isn't glamorous, I don't know what is!

3 comments:

Trisha#1 said...

OK, now, "maggots-in-freezer" equals "new-fridge-time" to me.

Steve said...

This reminds me of a Cops episode I watched many years ago where neighbors called the cops on an old man living in their complex. turns out he had a gazillion flies in the apartment and hundreds of meat packages from the grocery store in a fridge that had no power. I guess either he had no sense of smell or had gotten used to it somehow. The cops couldn't stay more than a few seconds in the place before leaving with dry heaves.

propertymanager said...

New fridge? I'm not charging extra rent for the maggots!

Mike